Tuesday, 12 March 2013

Review: Luna For The Lunies by Ira Nayman


For a summary review you can go to Goodreads or Amazon.

You can buy his novella in paper back or for kindle on Amazon or Amazon UK.

Click HERE to find out what is going to happen to reviews in the new year.


Title: Luna For The Lunies!
Author: Ira Nayman
Released: 10th February 2012
Genre: Science Fiction/ Humour
My Rating:  ★★★ (3 out of 5)

Description:


If you don’t read Luna for the Lunies!, you will miss the following:
This is the future: an Apple Records logo stamped on the cheek of humanity...forever.
Proper attribution format in news articles must be maintained. This is what separates us from the animals!
When everybody looks like they are starving, true starvation becomes kitsch.

“Have we learned nothing from the GEU UME?” 
“Y’’ ‘’’’d’t ‘’’’’’’ h’’ b’’ ‘’ ca’ g’’,” v’’ W’’’y s’’’.
“I doubleplusunhate you. I doubleplusunhate you with all my heart!”
“As we say in the company’s executive colouring book: Extremism in the pursuit of violent vices is no liberty.”
After you’ve slept with a comedian, there are no depths to which people won’t believe you can sink.
“As happy as a herd of flutzes. Trips off the tongue, doesn’t it?”
Of course, you won’t miss any of this because you just read it. Here. In the description of the book. But, you will miss other things that are almost as good. Like, context. So...there.
My Review:

I didn't read all of this; not because it wasn't interesting, some of it really was, but because this is made up of  (approx.) 82 'news stories'. I knew from reading the description of this novel that I would struggle to read parts. This is attributed to the occurrence of extremely long, often made-up, words. For example, on the fourth page the name of a reporter is 'Nancy Gonglikwayneoheeeeeeeh'. For some people this will be easily overlooked, but I'm not one of those people.

Another reason why I struggled somewhat was because I didn't understand some of the references to other things, be it political or otherwise. I believe this was my age and lack of knowledge of these things rather than a fault of the author.

In most cases, the premise was extremely interesting. This collection of stories definitely provides a barrel of laughs and will keep you entertained. Ira Nayman manages to combine science fiction and humour perfectly. I recommend the story 'Slap me! Happy?' as it incorporates light-hearted humour and equally entertaining misfortune in a poetic form.

Overall, this was a good read but not something I, personally, would pick up in a store. Many adore his work, so don't be put off by my preferences.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts and responses as comments.

Come on, I won't bite! ^_~