Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Interview: Saffina Desforges



Saffina is a published Author, H&S Manager and co-founder of the publishing company MWiDP. She is also the first Author I have interviewed that lives in my town! Important links to Saffina can be found at the bottom of the post. If you like crime novels
and twists on classics, you should give her a read!

Me: Tell me a little about yourself.
Saffina: My real name is Sarah Griffiths, but I write under the pseudonym Saffina Desforges. I am 39 years old and have been writing since I can remember. That might sound like a cliché, but it’s true. Ask my mum! I work full-time as a H&S Manager, but hope to write full-time for a living soon.

Me: You've co-written a book, contributed to another & started your own book series— how did it all begin?
Saffina: I have written novels on and off since I was about 18. I took a few writing courses at college and via distance learning and then stopped – life got in the way. And parties and going out!
I wrote on and off for the years that followed.
Then I discovered the internet. After reviving my writing, about three years ago, I submitted the first 7,000 words of my novel onto a peer review site called Youwriteon. You allow other writers to critique your work. I started getting rave reviews and then, I got an email from a man called Mark Williams. He sent me a personal mail saying that he was a writer, a teacher and a journalist and that reading my excerpt had made his latte go cold. The rest, as they say, is history.

Me: What draws you to the crime genre?
Saffina: I have always read crime thrillers and fantasy. I love Patricia Cornwell et al. I guess you write in a genre you like to read.

Me: You are the co-founder of MWiDP (Mark Williams international Digital Publishing). What does that entail?
Saffina: Myself and Mark set up MWiDP after finding some success selling ‘Sugar & Spice’ on Amazon UK. We have now sold 150,000 plus copies of a book we thought no-one would ever read. We got quite good at it. So, when realized that US writers were struggling to break into the UK market, we had the idea of helping them to find cover designers, format their books and upload them this side of the pond. We then built a community so authors could help each others and we publish their books under our banner and take a percentage of the sales.

Me: How have you managed to balance your writing with MWiDP?
Saffina: And work you mean? ;-) I have to ensure that I set time aside just to write.

Me: Are you working on anything new?
Saffina: We are always working on something new. We have the second book in the Rose Red crime series due out in a few weeks, we have the first of our dark, urban fantasy series half completed, some small novellas under a different name ongoing, the third and forth Sherlock to do and a new chick-lit mystery series to start. I am also writing a new YA fantasy series of novellas with two other associates called ‘The Indigo kids; Purple Acana Chronicles as well as becoming a WANA consultant for a world-wide indie publishing company, running webinars etc for new writers. Oh and we will start on book 3 of Rose Red whilst doing all that.

Me: Is there any advice you'd like to give to fellow writers?
Saffina: Yes, always write, every day, even if it’s crap and read as much as you can.

Quick-fire questions:

Me: Fast food or a home-cooked meal?
Saffina: Home cooked-meal
Me: Vampire or Werewolf?
Saffina: Vampire (every time)
Me: Summer or winter?
Saffina: Summer
Me: Fork or Spoon?
Saffina: Fork (it’s hard to kill people with spoons)


Photobucket




Facebook page- Saffina Desforges
Twitter- @safficscribe
Site - saffinadesforges.com
Amazon page- Saffina Desforges
MWiDP- markwilliamsinternationaldigitalpublishing.com

1 comment:

  1. Hi Zoe,

    Thank you for the interview, it was fun! Good luck with your writing AND your blog. As a thank you to our readers, you can pick up a copy of the US version of 'Sugar & Spice' FREE until midnight tomorrow via Amazon! Enjoy!

    Saffi

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts and responses as comments.

Come on, I won't bite! ^_~