Sunday, 13 November 2011

Interview: Brodi Ashton


Brodi Ashton lives in Utah with her husband and two boys. She has a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism and a Master’s degree in International Relations. Her debut novel EVERNEATH is scheduled to be published on January 24th 2012.  For more information on Brodi, and short summary on her book, you can visit her blog at (this link).






Me: Tell us a little about yourself
Brodi: I have a degree in Journalism and a Masters in International Relations from the London School of Economics. I have a husband and two kids. I love cinnamon bears, and tennis. I like to start all my sentences with the word "I".


Me: Have you always wanted to write? When did it all start?
Brodi: I started out in television news, so I was writing a bit for work and the occasional short story, but it wasn't until a few years ago that I realized how much I wanted to write a book. It turns out writing a book was really really hard. There were definitely a few false starts in there.

Me: How hard has it been to get to where you are now with Everneath?
Brodi: Hard enough that sometimes I wondered how I would keep going. But then I kept going. Despite over a hundred rejections from agents on my first book, and quite a few rejections on EVERNEATH. I guess that's when I realized I was doing what I wanted to be doing, because I kept doing it.

Me: Could you tell the readers what Everneath is about? In your own words.
Brodi: I'm never good at summarizing it in my own words! But here goes:

Nikki Beckett has been trapped in an underworld known as the Everneath, when she gets to return to the surface with her family and the boy she left behind. Nobody knows where she's been all this time, and they don't know she only has six months before the Everneath comes to take her again, this time for eternity. All Nikki wants is to spend these last months with the people she cares about, and reconnect with the boy she loves, but a immortal boy followed her from the Everneath, and he has other plans for her...

Me: What gave you inspiration for your novel?
Brodi: I had a couple of friends in school who made some decisions they later regretted. These decisions ended up altering the course of their lives, and although they tried to reclaim what they used to have, they were never the same. Because of this, I've always been fascinated with good people, who sometimes make bad decisions, and then have to live with the consequences. It can happen to anyone, and it happens to my main character Nikki. I loved exploring what led up to the decision, and then the aftermath.

Me: Have you got any advice you want to give to fellow writers?
Brodi: Surround yourself with like-minded people. Writing is such a solitary endeavor. Take every opportunity to emerge yourself in the writing world.
And, oh yeah, never give up.

Quick-fire questions:

Me: Fork or Spoon?
Brodi: Fork
Me: Dinner or Dessert?
Brodi: Dessert
Me:Summer or winter?
Brodi: Summer
Me: Vampire or Werewolf?
Brodi:Vampire. The non-sparkly kind. Think Angel or Spike. 
Me: Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings?
Brodi: Harry Potter.
Me: Fast food or a home-cooked meal?
Brodi: Fast food. I can't cook to save my life!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts and responses as comments.

Come on, I won't bite! ^_~